Text: Genesis 38 – Judah and his sons sin by avoiding their responsibilities as kinsmen redeemers. Tamar acts out in faith and God preserves the line of the Redeemer through her and Judah.
A Stark Contrast
- He was marked by greed and selfishness.
- He showed disregard for God’s commands.
- His sons were notoriously ungodly.
- He was morally and spiritually bankrupt.
- In faith, she remained committed to God’s plan.
- She was a recipient of God’s gracious blessing.
Ruth 4:12 – and may your house be like the house of Perez, whom Tamar bore to Judah, because of the offspring that the Lord will give you by this young woman.”
Matthew 1:3 – “and Judah the father of Perez and Zerah by Tamar, and Perez the father of Hezron, and Hezron the father of Ram…”
What Do We Learn About God’s Redemptive Plan?
- God is serious about sin.
- God has made a way for the consequences of sin to be remedied.
- God offers forgiveness to those who will turn from their sins.
- God rewards those who walk in simple faith.
It is never too late to turn from your sin!
Listen to the podcast
Watch the video stream:
Sermon series: The Thin Thread of Redemption. See all sermons in this series.
Photo credit: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seal_(emblem)