Text: 2 Timothy 3:10–4:5
“…expositional preaching is that preaching which takes for the point of a sermon the point of a particular passage of scripture.” –Mark Dever
Reasons to Prioritize Preaching
- We prioritize preaching because the Word of God leads us to salvation (3:10-15).
- We prioritize preaching because the Word of God is profitable for spiritual maturity (3:16-17)
- Teaching – it lets you know there’s a track.
- Reproof – it lets you lnow when you are off track.
- Correction – it helps you get back on track.
- Training in Righteousness – it helps you to stay on track.
- We prioritize preaching because the church has been given a solemn charge (4:1-2).
- Seriousness of the charge
- Substance of the charge
- Scope of the charge
- We are to preach persistently.
- We are to preach pointedly.
- We are to preach patiently.
- We prioritize preaching because of the growing tendency toward sin and self-deception (4:3-5).
How Should You Respond?
Have we allowed God’s voice to be heard in the local church?
Are you regularly involved in church, prioritizing the hearing of the Word of God?
Are you preaching the Word to yourself each day?
Listen to the Podcast
Sermon series: The Marks of a Healthy Church. See all sermons in this series »
Photo credit: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rykneethling/4542432287