There are many today who want to cast off all forms of leadership and hierarchy in the church. There is some merit to pointing out the priesthood of all believers, but there is also a need to identify spiritual leaders commissioned by God to lead his church.
- There ought to be spiritual leaders in the local church (Acts 20:28, 1 Timothy 5:17, 1 Timothy 3:4-5, 1 Thessalonians 5:12-13).
- Believers are to function under the authority of the spiritual leaders in the church (Acts 20:29-30, 1 Thessalonians 5:12).
- Spiritual leaders should embody the characteristics of a shepherd (Luke 22:26, 1 PETER 5:1-3).
- Spiritual leaders themselves must be under authority (1 Peter 5:4, 1 Timothy 5:19-20).
- Believers should consider the repercussions of their response to spiritual authority.
We should follow the spiritual leaders of the church, not because of their merits, but because God has gifted and ordained them to lead.
Listen to the Podcast
Sermon series: The Marks of a Healthy Church. See all sermons in this series »
Photo credit: https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Seal_of_Virginia.svg