Text: Revelation 3:7
What Does the Key Open?
- There is the opening vision of the ascended Jesus (Revelation 1:18).
- There is the historical backdrop of this terminology (Isaiah 22).
- Jesus exercises absolute power to control entry into the kingdom of God.
Implications for the Church
- We should be consoled knowing that our access to the kingdom is secure (Matthew 5:16, John 14:12a).
- We should be confident knowing that Jesus is opening doors for lost people to enter the kingdom (John 6:44, Ephesians 1:4-5, Luke 16:16).
- We should be sobered knowing that not everyone will be admitted into the kingdom (Matthew 7:21, Revelation 22:14-15).
- We should be humbled knowing that the authority of the kingdom has been entrusted to the church (Matthew 16:19).
There is only one way to enter the kingdom, through the “narrow gate” – a transaction with Jesus.
Listen to the Podcast
Sermon series: The Life of David: Shepherd. Poet. Warrior. Friend. KING. See all sermons in this series.
Photo credit: https://www.flickr.com/photos/dsas/6244476367/