Text: 2 Samuel 24:18-25 – David refuses to sacrifice that which costs him nothing.
My Sin Carries a Great Cost
- An altar and a sacrificewere required to make atonement for sin (24:18, 21, 25)
- God designated a specific place (Mt. Moriah) where this atoning sacrifice was to be made. This location was significant throughout redemptive history.
- God later designated Christ as the specific “place” where sin would be atoned for.
- A repentant heart and an active response to God are required for an atoning sacrifice to be actualized and applied.
- Wrath was stayed in v16, but it was satisfied in v25 after the sacrifice.
Principle: We forget the seriousness of sin – the terrible cost it exacts. Maybe remembering its ultimate cost would cause us to treat it more seriously.
I Ascribe Worth to God and Demonstrate Love for Him by the Cost I am Willing to Pay to Follow and Worship Him
- What do I sacrifice for? If people could see what I most readily surrender my time, resources, etc…what would they determine I value most?
- When was the last time following Christ cost me something?
What are you holding back from God?
Listen to the Podcast
Sermon series: The Life of David: Shepherd. Poet. Warrior. Friend. KING. See all sermons in this series.
Photo credit: https://www.flickr.com/photos/59937401@N07/5474825330