Creation Pattern (Genesis 1:26-27, 2:21-25)
- God created male and female to equally reflect his image.
- God created male and female to function in distinct and complementary roles.
Gender and the Church (1 Timothy 2:8-15)
- Women are to dress in a manner appropriate for the worship of God (1 Timothy 2:9-10)
- Women are to be included in biblical instruction (1 Timothy 2:11)The respectable Greek woman led a very confined life. She lived in her own quarters into which no one but her husband came. She did not even appear at meals. She never at any time appeared on the street alone; she never went to any public assembly. (William Barclay)
- Women are to function in a subordinate role (1 Timothy 2:12-14)
- Women are to exercise unique influence in the rearing of children (1 Timothy 2:15)
Are we making too much of this one text? Paul’s teaching is consistent:
“…the women should keep silent in the churches. For they are not permitted to speak, but should be in submission, as the Law also says. If there is anything they desire to learn, let them ask their husbands at home. For it is shameful for a woman to speak in church.” (1 Corinthians 14:34-35)
We need to be careful to follow God’s teachings and not compromise, but we also must be careful not to impose restrictions of our tradition that the Scriptures do not.
Listen to the podcast
Watch the video stream:
Sermon series: Swimming Upstream in a Downstream World. See all sermons in this series.
Photo credit: http://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Bathroom-gender-sign.png