It is an illusion that something out there might be better or more pleasurable than God’s design.
God’s Timeless Design
…”created them male and female”
Scripture and Homosexuality
- And they called to Lot, “Where are the men who came to you tonight? Bring them out to us, that we may know them.” (Genesis 19:5)
- You shall not lie with a male as with a woman; it is an abomination. (Leviticus 18:22)
- Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. (1 Corinthians 6:9-10)
- understanding this, that the law is not laid down for the just but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for those who strike their fathers and mothers, for murderers, the sexually immoral, men who practice homosexuality, enslavers, liars, perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound doctrine, (1 Timothy 1:9-10)
Are we asking people to deny who they are?
We have to acknowledge the fall and total depravity, but just because we have desires doesn’t necessarily mean that it ought to be fulfilled. We are born with all kinds of sinful tendencies…the goal is to be transformed by the gospel and to be conformed to the image of God!
How should we respond?
- We should be clear about the church’s mandate (1 Corinthians 5:12).
- We should not overemphasize homosexual sin and underemphasize other sexual sin.
- We should be clear about what constitutes sin. Temptation on its own is not sin!
- We should articulate our position with grace.
- We should recognize the power of the gospel change to lives (1 Corinthians 6:9-11).
Pray that we experience a new sexual revolution – a bold return to Godly sexuality.
Listen to the podcast
Watch the video stream:
Sermon series: Swimming Upstream in a Downstream World. See all sermons in this series.
Photo credit: http://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Rainbow_flag_breeze.jpg
Leave a Reply