Text: 1 Samuel 25 – David asks Nabal for supplies, and Nabal rudely refuses. His wife, Abigail, intervenes as David comes to attack Nabal and wins David over.
- The prophet Samuel dies (1 Samuel 25:1).
- A wealthy couple, Nabal and Abigail, are living and working on proximity to David and his men (1 Samuel 25:2-3).
- As it was a time of feasting, David sends an envoy to request food (1 Samuel 25:4-8).
- Nabal refuses the request and responds harshly (1 Samuel 25:9-11).
- David is angry and rashly sets out to retaliate (1 Samuel 25:12-13).
- Abigail learns of the situation and sets out to dissuade David from this violent course of action (1 Samuel 25:14-31).
A critical distinction
Proverbs 19:20, Proverbs 12:1, Proverbs 6:23
An unlikely hero
- A gracious response goes a long way in winning someone over.
- Another person’s sin never provides an excuse for your own sin.
- God can work through a dysfunctional marriage.
Listen to the podcast
Watch the video stream:
Sermon series: The Life of David: Shepherd. Poet. Warrior. Friend. KING. See all sermons in this series.
Photo credit: http://men-women-in-bible.blogspot.com/2011/04/rahab-hides-spies-and-david-meets.html
Leave a Reply